Burst or Leaking Pipes
Bursting or leaking pipes is one of the most common ways that houses get water damage. Drains and toilets that get backed up and blocked can cause undue pressure in the pipe, which then causes it to burst or leak. Garbage disposals that aren’t working properly are another common reason for pipes to burst, as are roots that grow in the yard into the sewer lines. Old or rusty pipes are also more prone to leaking. If your pipes do burst and cause water damage call SERVPRO Burlington/Mt. Holly. They will come and fix the damage fast and efficiently, so everyone can get back to there regular lives. SERVPRO Burlington/Mt. Holly will make sure that the room looks like it did before the water damage happened.
Here are some ways to prevent any of these situation from happening in your home.
- Ensure that any outside taps and piping including drain pipes for heating or overflow pipes are insulated. You can use insulating lagging or foam to do this but make sure you do not leave any joints, bends or taps exposed. For outside taps fitted covers are available.
- Any piping that are in unheated areas such as lofts, basements and garages all need to be lagged with good quality pipe lagging.
- Any pipes buried in the ground outside such as pipes to garages or sheds need to be buried deep enough and/or lagged.
- Insulate your cold water tank, this is so often forgotten and can be the major cause of Burst Pipes.
- Leave your heating on at least 12 degrees centigrade at all times throughout cold spells. This will keep the system warm enough not to Burst Pipes and the water flowing.
- Fix any dripping taps or existing leaks before the cold spell. Many Burst Pipes happen because of leaks.