Storm Damage Safety
Storms such as hurricanes or tropical storms can be very dangerous and very frightening. SERVPRO of Burlington Township / Mount Holly wants you to be safe and aware of everything you can do to prevent more danger.
Safety precautions indoors
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment of all types. Lightning can travel through electrical systems and radio and television reception systems.
- Avoid corded phones. ...
- Avoid concrete floors and walls.
Review your emergency plan with your family and support staff and post the written plan on an easily accessible bulletin board.
- Stay inside during thunderstorms and blizzards.
- Use flashlights instead of candles.
- Call the power company right away.
- Unplug as many big appliances as possible.
- Avoid using corded phones and electronics such as computers or power tools. ...
- Don't use your cell phone during a thunderstorm.
- Don't wash your hands, shower, wash dishes or do laundry. ...
- High winds and hail can shatter glass, so stay away from windows, skylights and doors.
Lightning 30/30 rule: If it takes less... Lightning 30/30 rule: If it takes less than 30 seconds to hear thunder after seeing the flash, lightning is near enough to pose a threat; after the storm ends, wait 30 minutes before resuming outdoor activities.
Those are just some simple tips and knowledge to keep you safe as possible.