Grill Safety 101- Preventing Fire Damage
Warm weather has arrived in New Jersey and the grills are out! Don’t let a fire damage interrupt your Summer cookout. Avoid a fire damage with proper preparation and propane grill maintenance! Follow these 3 tips:
Clean your drip pan. When the drip pan under your cooking grids and burners becomes too full and heat reaches ignition temperatures inside your grill, a grease fire can occur. Drip pans are removable and should be checked and cleaned regularly.
Scrape your grids. Always scrape your cooking grids before or after every use. Dried on meat and grease are a breeding ground for bacteria and they can also cause dangerous flare-ups. Using your grill brush while the grill is still hot is the best way to keep your cooking grids clean.
Be prepared. Prevention is the best way to deal with a grease fire, but if one starts you need to have the tools on hand to put it out. Baking soda quickly cuts off the oxygen supply to the flame, so keep a box or two in or near your grill station, along with a fire extinguisher. Never use water to put out a grease fire as you can severely injure yourself and damage your home.
In the event of a fire damage, SERVPRO of Burlington Township & Mt. Holly has your back with 24/7 emergency service. Call 609-326-3663 for immediate assistance.