Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Fires can bring a wave of emotions after a they burn through a home. Families are faced with the stress, fear, and uncertainty about the future of the home or property within. So after the firefighters have put the flames to rest, it's good to know what and what not to do until SERVPRO of Burlington Township/Mount Holly comes in for the mitigation process. Here are some tips of what can be done before help arrives. Limit movement in the area to prevent soot particles from spreading. Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet. Place clean towels or or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery. Do not wash walls or painted surfaces. Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery. Do not clean any electrical equipment. So, before you risk causing more damage by attempting to clean up fire damage yourself, follow these steps and call the experts of SERVPRO of Burlington Township/Mount Holly.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (609) 326-3663
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.